LETTER FROM PARENTS
You will be reading a letter from parents living in Beijing
to their son (Lin) and daughter in-law (Fei), who are Chinese
students in the United States. Since letters, like many
conversations, deal with personal matters not familiar to
outsiders, it may be helpful to know the following:
- Fei is in her mid-30s.
- She originally worked at the People's Daily in Beijing.
- She still has an apartment in the People's Daily
residential compound in Beijing, which is currently being
used by her second sister-in-law.
- Fei has just received her Master's degree but is engaged
in further studies.
- She teaches qigong, a Chinese fitness technique.
- Her other job involves work on a
- The letter has arrived just a few days before she is due
to make a return visit to China.
- She is hoping to have some dental work done during the
Below is a family tree showing some of Lin's close relatives:
All but two of the following topics will be discussed in the
letter. Click on the button to indicate whether or not you think
each topic will be discussed.