All participants in the Pedagogy of the Internet Workshop are expected
to begin one project during this week. The project can be on
anything related to using the Internet for language teaching. Some
examples might be:
Participants are encouraged to do something which will be useful for your own work. It is not necessary to come up with a highly polished product, but to at least
begin a process which you can continue after the week. Everyone will have
10 minutes or so on Friday to briefly discuss their projects.
- Development of a plan for a new foreign language e-mail discussion list
- Development of a new Web site with resources in an LCTL
- Development of a Web site for a new course or courses in an LCTL
- Development of a technology-enhanced curriculum or syllabus for a course
- Development of a plan for a technology-enhanced self-access center
- Development of a plan for training teachers at your institution or community
- Other plans or projects (please consult with me about them)
It is also expected that at least a brief description of all projects be put up on the Web during the week. Evenfor those of you that have no previous experience in HTML mark-up, this can be done quite easily. The priority will not be to make pages that are very fancy, but rather just to get some basic information up so that we will
have a collective site with information that can be easily accessed by all
the participants. Note that the lab will be open on two afternoons
so that people can get individualized assistance in HTML if they need it
(those who want to learn more advanced Web skills can also do so during
these times). Software available to create your pages includes BBEDIT, SimpleText, Microsoft Word, and Word Perfect (all available in the Applie Menu under either Web Creation or Applications).
In order to create your web page, you will need to login into the pedagogy folder as follows:
Your home page should be saved within your folder, and should be saved as "default.html". (Note: Several of us will be around to help you during this process).
- Select Webzone from the chooser and click on 'guest'
- Select the pedagogy folder
- Create a new folder within the pedagogy folder with your last name as the title, all lower case (for example, warschauer)